Monday, April 4, 2016

#SickInTheCzech

I am going to apologize to you, my reader, before you go any further.  This post is extremely random.  I didn’t do much, so it consists of pretty much whatever came into my mind. (:
        This week.  This week is a week I am thankful for.  Week number three: I fell ill.  I learned that they don’t use the word “sick” here; you are ILL.  This was an easy-going week.  A week to let my body rejuvenate. It was also a time that I could really reflect on the things that were going on around me.  For example, buying things at the store is completely different then back in the States.  One, you cannot just go into one store and buy everything you need.  Yes, there is a store like Walmart here; it is called Globus.  Medicine is a no-go, unless in a pharmacy.  So, while Globus is one tram stop and a 10 minute walk (because Americans walk slow, but I will discuss this later) heading northeast from our dorms, the pharmacy is a 15 minute tram ride east (all the way into town) and a 3 minute walk.  While this was extremely inconvenient (because I'm American), it also made me consider how much I actually needed medicine, or if the four large bottles of ibuprofen and acetaminophen I brought from home would be enough. Ultimately, I did give in and go to the pharmacy.  Whatever they gave me had me feeling better within two days.  Yay!
Back to the whole “Americans walk slow” thing.  I have never really thought about it before.  The only time I ever complained about someone walking fast was when my grandma used to take me to the grocery store and I would have to sprint to keep up with her.  I feel like that little girl again.  Europeans walk fast.  After going on a couple tours, I now know that there is no slowing down to “take a quick picture.” You will lose everybody.  (I actually talked to a couple that had this happen to them.)  Most of the time I start at the front of the group and by the time we get to where we are going, I am 10 yards behind the tour guide. I can’t blame them though.  Most Europeans are so used to walking almost everywhere.  Their “short” walks that they take us on usually go on for over an hour and most of it is up-hill. I’m not complaining, it’s just different.  It’s an experience unlike what you get in the U.S., especially in Nebraska.  Usually, I would hop in my car to drive to the bank that is literally two blocks away from my home.  I don’t know if this will change the way I do things when I get home, but it will make me aware of the luxuries that I have and am able to use. (As you can see [photos below] these walks/hikes were well worth it in the end)
                                               

        
 
Only last bit about the shopping situation.  The most shock I had while shopping here was when I went to check out at Globus for the first time.  ALL THE CASHIERS WERE SITTING.  All of them. Also, they didn’t have to bag anything.  The customer was responsible for bringing their own bags and bagging everything themselves.  At first I was “WHAT DO YOU GET PAID TO DO?!” Then I was like “Wow, I wish America did this.” Now, after having a few “big” shopping trips, I understand that having me bag up everything while I’m trying to put everything on the belt and pay is extremely inconvenient to the cashier and the other guests.  Maybe it’s just because I’m American and I don’t have any strategy to do it, but it is a truly chaotic experience.  It gives me anxiety.
Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment